Friday, May 30, 2008

Today I will Speak Words of Encouragement

There are so many hurts that circumstances and the world inflict upon us, we need the constant reinforcement of encouragement. - Billy Graham

Encouragement can actually inflate a deflated attitude because it fills us with hope. - Barbara Johnson

What words will you speak today? What words have you already spoken that you wish you hadn't? Each new hour is an opportunity for taking inventory around the words that we say. Maybe it's a tone, a word, or a look that we need to keep in check. What was the intended message? Willfully hurtful or encouraging? Pleasant or ugly?

Do I have it all figured out? Do I still speak hurtful words that I'll never get back? Absolutely! I'm not yet the person I'd like to be, but I spend each day asking God to mold me into the insturment He'd like me to be.

Today, I have a new opportunity to consciously think about what I'm about to say. Today, I will go out of my way to say something kind or complimentary. Today, I will bite my tongue before I spew ugly words. Then, today will become tomorow, and tomorrow will become next week, and next week the rest of my life. Gotta start somewhere, right!

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt. - Colossians 4:6

- author, Cindy Daniels

What things do you do to keep your words gracious?

No comments: