Saturday, May 31, 2008

Encouragement Comes in Threes

This past week I had the joyous opportunity to spend time with all three of my granddaughters. All are under the age of three, and quite active! What a joy it was for me to play and talk and walk with them as they discover so much newness in God's world.

As I watch them and study their developing personalities, it's clear that all three are distinctly different in the way they approach life. They are also distinctly different in the way they encourage. Yes, I said encourage. (It seems I never noticed it at this age in my own children, but they say that grandparents are much more perceptive in the second round of child-rearing - I sure hope "they" are right!)

Here's a quick overview of the way my granddaughters encouraged me this week. Miss A. is all smiles. When you walk into the room, she flashes the cutest, cuddliest smile in your direction. Miss B. wants to engage in activities that are important to the person she's spending time with. And Miss C. looks you right in the eye, reads your mood, and then lovingly pats you on the shoulder or face.

So, what's the point of all this talk about my granddaughters (I know, you thought I'd never get on with it!) I believe the point is that God has gifted each one of us with a personality that is distinct to the way we encourage. Some of us are great at hospitality, while others are wonderful at picking up the tab for a dinner out. Some of us have great penmanship and love to write letters. For others of us, it's a chore to pick up a card, sign our name, stamp it, and get it to the mailbox! Others have the gift of mercy and compassion, and often visit those in the hospitals or nursing homes. Others have the gift of gab and love to pick up the phone and check in with those in their circle of friends. Still others are great at hugs and pats on the back, and spending time with friends engaging in activities they love.

The apostle Paul understood that all of us are different. In Ephesians 4:11-13 he writes: And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;

I guess I told you my story and shared Paul's words to point out that each of you is gifted in the way you encourage. Don't allow yourself to be pressed into the world's expectations, but to listen to the Holy Spirit - let Him tell you the best way to encourage. You'll be a lot happier because you'll be doing it the way God intended, not according to another's rules or methods.

I hope there is a little person in your life to encourage you - their innocence will keep you honest to your own calling.

- author, Cindy Daniels

How has God equipped you to encourage?

No comments: